My Country

My Country
Trinidad & Tobago

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cultural Cuisine of Trinidad

Of the African Heritage in Trinidad and Tobago, culture and food play an important role. The African influence is tasted in foods such as "Crab and Callalloo",which is crabs and spinach, cooked in coconut milk . The taste is spectacular. This is normal a weekend dish, which family members enjoy at home.
Then there is the Bake and Shark, which is eaten whenever Trinidadians go to the beaches. In this meal, deep fried shark is enclosed in a fried dough sandwich, and this is topped up with condiments of your choice. These include, tamarind, garlic and other hot sauces, cucumbers, pineapples, tomatoes,onions, all to your taste and choice. You wash this down with a cold "Solo", a local soft drink.
The  pelau, is another such dish of African Heritage. It is a cook up of meat that may be chicken or beef preseasoned and marinated  overnight, and browned under heat with sugar from the cane, and then, cooked  with pigeon peas and rice in coconut milk. Best when eaten hot, and the taste is unimaginable. It is a  very popular weekend dish in Trinidad, when all the family members are at home.

2 comments:

  1. Sheriff it seems like the people from Trinidad & Tobago knows about good eating. I love sea food and by the way you talk about your dish I wish I was there eating and having a cold solo drink. Sheriff which one do you prefer the most the sea food or the regular meal like the meats and the chicken. I will put Trinidad & and Tobago in my traveling list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I prefer the sea foods of my country most. There is abundant fish for the catch around our twin islands ,and there is nothing better tasting than a well seasoned freshly caught fried fish. Hence the reason why Bake and Shark is cooked and served "hot" at the beaches of Trinidad. When you visit T&T make sure you taste some.

    ReplyDelete